Data Help Desk at AGU 2020DECEMBER 7-11 & 14-16, 2020 ONLINE
The Data Help Desk at AGU2020 (sponsored by EarthCube & supported by ESIP & AGU) will connect researchers with data experts to enhance research and make data and software more open and FAIR. Follow the action on Twitter.
Do you have data-related questions? Are you looking to make your data and/or software open and FAIR? Are you interested in tools and resources for working with your data or for finding data to reuse? The Data Help Desk is here for you!
Data Help Desks Held
How to Participate
- Follow the action on Twitter HERE.
- Ask Data Questions: Share your questions any time from December 7th-11th and 14th-16th via Twitter using the hashtag #DataHelpDesk. Our team of Earth science data professionals has decades of experience in informatics and in many scientific domains and specializes in topics like finding, sharing, analyzing, publishing, and citing data.
- Watch Tool Demos & Tutorials: We will direct you to helpful tutorials and demos throughout the week that will highlight tools and resources you can use to manage your data and enhance your research. Follow #DataHelpDesk to hear about these!
Most Recent Tweets
Contributed Demos & Tutorials
Learn how to use the NASAWorldview imagery mapping & visualization application to explore global Earth science data imagery. Contributor: NASA Earthdata
A new way to visualize Argo's biogeochemical data using Argovis. Contributor: Argovis
Find tips for data management & sources for training on data management topics. Contributor: Nancy Hoebelheinrich (Knowledge Motifs LLC).
Learn about Practical Data Management, a module of the NCEAS Learning Hub. Contributor: NCEAS
Rockd is a popular mobile app that draws on community data resources to help you explore, capture, and share your geological surroundings. Contributor: UWMacrostrat.
New Earth science data resources available to help users find, access, use, and visualize NASA Earth science data. Contributor: NASA Earthdata
Cloud-based data tools for research, collaboration, and workflow documentation in the aquatic sciences: JupyterHub and HydroShare. Contributor: CUAHSI
Earth and Space Sciences for the Future – Perspectives from Journals. Contributor: Peter Fox, Editor-in-Chief of AGU Earth and Space Science.
Learn about UNAVCO's data tools. Contributor: UNAVCO
Learn how to share and search astromaterials sample data with the newly-released Astromaterials Data Repository. Contributor: Astromaterials Data System
Repository & metadata aggregator lightning talks from Data Help Desk at ESA20. Contributors: Arctic Data Center, CUAHSI, DataONE, EDI, iDigBio, NEON, Neotoma
Learn about StraboSpot: a tool for collecting & managing a variety of geologic field data types. Contributor: StraboSpot.
HydroShare is repository for sharing, collaborating around, and formally publishing scientific data. Contributor: CUAHSI.
Learn how SGCI serves the science gateway community by sharing experiences & providing services. Contributor: SGCI
Learn about UNAVCO's data services. Contributor: UNAVCO
The EarthChem Library Repository offers researchers a place to archive their geochemical data and receive a DOI for their datasets. Contributor: EarthChem Library
How ontologies can help you find and understand the data you need. Contributor: Arctic Data Center
Peer-Reviewed Notebooks from the EarthCube Community
- An Interactive GUI for BALTO in a Jupyter notebook (GitHub | Recorded Demo)
- Argovis API exposed in a Python Jupyter notebook: an easy access to Argo profiles, weather events, and gridded products (GitHub)
- Semantic Annotation of Data using JSON Linked Data (GitHub)
- Processing digital elevation data for deep learning models using Keras Spatial (GitHub)
- Vertical Regridding and Remapping (GitHub)
- Scikit-downscale: an open source Python package for scalable climate downscaling (GitHub | Recorded Demo)
- 3D volume rendering of geophysical data using the yt platform (GitHub | Recorded Demo)
- Big Arrays, Fast: Profiling Cloud Storage Read Throughput (GitHub)
- CMIP6 without the interpolation: Grid-native analysis with Pangeo in the cloud (GitHub | Recorded Demo)
- Intake / Pangeo Catalog: Making It Easier To Consume Earth’s Climate and Weather Data Multi-Cloud workflows with Pangeo and Dask Gateway (GitHub | Recorded Demo)
- Jupyter Notebooks, the PmagPy Software Package and the Magnetics Information Consortium (MagIC) Database (GitHub | Recorded Demo)
- Jupyter Meets the Earth Community Forum (Full-length recording | Summary)
Science gateways allow science & engineering communities to access shared resources. Learn how SGCI serves the science gateway community by sharing experiences & providing services. Contributor: SGCI
The OpenTopography Community Dataspace allows those who are producing small to
moderate sized topographic datasets to archive, sharing, and properly cite their data. Contributor: OpenTopography
Learn basics & tips for use of R, RStudio, and Jupyter Notebooks. Contributor: Shweta Narkar, PhD Student at RPI.
Learn about the data holdings of CCHDO, a public repository for high-quality repeat CTD and bottle data from GO-SHIP and other programs. Contributor: CCHDO
Find learning resources on topics related to research data skills and data management. Contributor: Data Management Training Clearinghouse
Learn about the US Antarctic Program Data Center (USAP-DC). Contributor: USAP-DC
The USGS Community for Data Integration (CDI) grows the knowledge base in data integration and management in the Earth sciences. Contributor: CDI
The TDS Jupyter Notebook service helps users discover, access, and visualize THREDDS datasets with Python. Contributor: Unidata
The Paper and the Data: 5 Part Series
Module 1: Introduction. Learn about challenges with accessing data, the AGU Data Position Statement, recommendations from the NAS, updated Journal guidelines, and benefits of sharing data and software. Contributor: AGU/ESIP.
Module 4: Peer Review. Peer review recommendations from AGU and examples. Contributor: AGU/ESIP.
Module 2: Data. Learn about what data should go into a repository, considerations for choosing a repository, and citing data. Contributor: AGU/ESIP.
Module 5: Persistent Identifiers. Learn about persistent identifiers, including ORCID, DOI, and more. Contributor: AGU/ESIP.
Module 3: Software. Learn about what software should go into a repository, software availability statements, considerations for choosing a repository, and citing software. Contributor: AGU/ESIP.
Complete Slides. View slides from the modules that make up “The Paper and The Data: Authors, Reviewers, and Editors Webinar on Updated Journal Practices for Data (and Software).” Contributor: AGU/ESIP.
Upcoming Data Help Desks
26 October 2020
Data Help Desk at GSA Annual Meeting
Join the next Data Help Desk, to be held in conjunction with the Geological Society of America 2020 Connects Online. This Data Help Desk is sponsored by EarthCube, and further supported by ESIP and the GSA Geoinformatics & Data Science Division.
Data Help Desk at AGU Fall Meeting
Details coming soon! To be held in conjunction with the American Geophysical Union (AGU) Fall Meeting. This Data Help Desk is sponsored by EarthCube, and further supported by ESIP and AGU.