Data Help Desk at 2022 GSA Annual Meeting
October 9-12, 2022 – Denver, CO & Online Everywhere
The Data Help Desk being held in conjunction with GSA 2022 Connects is a program of the GSA Geoinformatics & Data Science Division and the Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP), and will connect researchers with data and software experts to enhance research and make data and software more open and FAIR.
A guide to help graduate students wade through the ocean of data resources learn data management practices to help with various graduate school milestones. Contributor: Ben Roberts-Pierel, Eleanor Davis, and Yuhan Rao
QGreenland is a a free GIS package for Greenland: A free mapping tool to support interdisciplinary Greenland-focused research, teaching, decision making, and collaboration. Contributor: QGreenland
Learn about the data repository and curation services offered by the Environmental Data Initiative (EDI). Contributor: EDI
Discover seismic data available at the IRIS using the availability web service. Contributor: IRIS
Institutional Data Repositories: An Important Option for Complying with Data Sharing Requirements. Contributor: University of Michigan Library
F1000 is an open access publishing platform supporting data deposition and sharing. Contributor: F1000
Marine Geoscience Data System (MGDS) is a community-trusted data repository for marine geophysical data products and complementary data related to understanding the formation and evolution of the seafloor and sub-seafloor. Contributor: MGDS
The USGS Community for Data Integration (CDI) grows the knowledge base in data integration and management in the Earth sciences. Contributor: CDI
SeedMeLab is a scientific data management platform, short for Stream, Encode, Explore and Disseminate My Experiments. Contributor: SeedMeLab
BCO-DMO works with researchers to help them access, as well as share their oceanographic data and related information online. Contributor: BCO-DMO (Biological and Chemical Oceanography Data Management Office)
Bringing global oceanic lithology and microfossil data collected by the ocean drilling programs to a single, searchable platform. Contributor: eODP (Extending Ocean Drilling Pursuits)
Learn about the data holdings of CCHDO, a public repository for high-quality repeat CTD and bottle data from GO-SHIP and other programs. Contributor: CCHDO
The Arctic Data Center (ADC) helps the research community reproducibly preserve and discover all products of NSF-funded science in the Arctic, including data, metadata, software, and documents. Contributor: ADC
Find learning resources on topics related to research data skills and data management. Contributor: Data Management Training Clearinghouse
pyrolite is a set of tools for helping geochemists new to Python quickly get off the ground and make use of their data. Contributor: pyrolite
Intro to a deep-time knowledge base aimed at helping geoscientists use deep-time as a framework to synthesize datasets. Contributor: Deep Time Knowledge Base
Geoweaver is a web system for composing & executing full-stack deep learning workflows by taking advantage of online spatial data facilities, high-performance computation platforms, and open-source deep learning libraries. Contributor: Geoweaver
Learn about the US Antarctic Program Data Center (USAP-DC). Contributor: USAP-DC
Brief presentation on how PIDs can help researchers make their data FAIR and themselves better know. Contributor: Knowledge Motifs.
A brief overview of the EarthCube Research Coordination Network (RCN) project, “What about model data?” Determining Best Practices for Preservation and Replicability. Contributor: What About Model Data RCN
DataONE is a community driven program providing access to data across multiple member repositories, supporting enhanced search and discovery of Earth and environmental data. Contributor: DataONE
Learn basics & tips for use of R, RStudio, and Jupyter Notebooks. Contributor: Shweta Narkar, PhD Student at RPI.
A novel element of the 2020 and 2021 EarthCube Annual Meetings was a call for notebooks, which led to over 30 peer-reviewed Jupyter notebooks that encompass an array of geoscience data tools, software, services, and libraries. Each notebook was reviewed by scholars within the geoscience and cyberinfrastructure community. Recent contributions can be accessed below.
- Interactive Jupyter notebook for hydrographic ocean data exploration, retrieval and visualization via the Argovis API
- Interactive visualization tools for ocean glider data
- Programmatic Access to OpenTopography’s Cloud Optimized Geotiff (COG) Global Datasets
- xclim: Software ecosystem for climate services
- Reanalysis of archived paleointensity data using a new statistical method
- Machine Learning Guided Weather Analogs.
- itslive-explorer: interactive exploration of glacier velocities at a global scale
- Frequency-domain analysis of large datasets
- Volcanic activity detection and noise characterization using machine learning
- OGGM-Edu – Jupyter notebooks to learn and teach about glaciers
- Real Time Alignment and Distribution of Weather Radar Data with Rain Gauge Data for Deep Learning using CHORDS
- Investigating upper ocean variability during tropical cyclones and seasonal sea ice formation and melting: Argovis APIs exposed to co-locate oceanic and atmospheric datasets
- Diagnosing the Eliassen-Palm flux from a quasi-geostrophic double gyre ensemble
- Mapping ice flow velocity using an easy and interactive feature tracking workflow