Simon Hodson is Executive Director of CODATA http://www.codata.org, an organisation formed in 1966, whose mission is to strengthen international science for the benefit of society by promoting improved scientific and technical data management and use. He also sits on the Board of Directors of the Dryad data repository http://datadryad.org, a not-for-profit initiative to make the data underlying scientific publications discoverable, freely reusable, and citable. From 2009 to 2013, as Programme Manager, he led two successive phases of Jisc’s innovative Managing Research Data programme http://researchdata.jiscinvolve.org/wp/.
In this episode we touch on:
- Simon’s path to leading CODATA
- How CODATA fits into the ICSU family and the history, mission and vision of CODATA (did you know one of the earliest task groups was on computer use?)
- The tension between Science data infrastructure and research
- CODATA’s approach to shaping national and international policy
Did you like this interview?
- WDS Publishing Data: Cost Recovery for Data Centres
- 4C Project – Collaboration to Clarify the Cost of Curation
- NOAA Big Data RFI, Statement of Objectives and Industry Day 10/17
- G8 Science Ministers Statement on Improving the Transparency, Coherence and Coordination of the Global Scientific Research Enterprise
- Guidelines for OSTP Data Access Plan
- SciDataCon 2014 – November 2-5, 2014
- CODATA Early Career Data Professionals Working Group