2014 ESIP Summer Meeting, July 8-11, 2014 – Linking It Together: Sustainable Software Advancing Science Data and Services
The Federation for Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) is having their 2014 Summer Meeting in Frisco, CO at Copper Mountain Resort, July 8-11. The theme is “Linking It Together: Sustainable Software Advancing Science Data and Services” and will include a variety of activities supporting this theme for all levels of technical expertise, including:
- Keynote plenaries on software sustainability from multiple perspectives (data center, science and entrepreneurial)
- Breakout sessions on software metrics, attribution of software and source code and building community around a software package
- Half-day training on Agile software development practices and a discussion session on Agile in use around the ESIP Federation
- 2-day Software Carpentry Boot Camp which will teach researchers basic lab skills for scientific computing: the tools and techniques that will help them get more done in less time, and with less pain. Covers Unix Shell, Python or R, Git and Github and SQL. Great for scientist looking to learn basic coding!
- Additional opportunities to present your work in sessions proposed and at the poster session the evening of July 9.
Early registration (through June 11, 2014) is $400/members and $525/non-members. After early June, the registration fee rises to $500 (members) and $625 (non-members). A student registration is available for $150. A special one-day attendance is available for $200. We are also offering a 2-day Software Carpentry Bootcamp for an additional $50. This fee reserves your seat and will support the Raskin Scholarship Fund. A full refund will be given through May 31, 2014. To register: https://www.regonline.com/esipfederationsummermeeting2014
The 2014 Summer ESIP Federation Meeting will be held at Copper Mountain Resort in Frisco, CO. The resort is easily accessible from the Denver International Airport by shuttle. Shuttles can be booked at Summit Express with promo code: ESIP to get a rate of $57.60 one way. If you book in groups of three or more, you can get an even further reduced rate of $52. These shuttles run every two hours in both directions and take about two hours and twenty minutes. Once you are at Copper there are free buses regularly between Copper and Frisco and bikes for rent.
NOTE: Frisco is at 9600 ft. It is important to take altitude into consideration as you plan for the trip. Details from Copper Mountain on altitude sickness and preparation.
A limited block of rooms is available at the Copper Mountain Resort at the federal per diem rate of $92/night (plus taxes) and $120/night for non-federal employee. To make reservations, call in and speak to a Groups specific Agent when setting up their reservation – Group Reservations can be reached at 866-837-2996. When making your reservation reference the group name, Federation of Earth Science Information Partners and code 1681 for non-fed and 1684 for federal per diem rate. If you are a government employee, you must request the federal per diem rate (code 1684). The room block will be held until June 5, 2014, 5pm MT or it is filled.
Yolanda Gill, USC
James Howison, UT- Austin
Dan Katz, NSF
Jeff Morrisette, DOI North Central Climate Science Center
Brand Fortner, RENCI/UNC
The poster session will be held on July 9 during the evening reception. Posters should be no larger than 3′ x 4′ (width x height). Posters and poster abstracts are submitted digitally to the ESIP Commons by creating an account if you don't have one already and then creating a Poster. Choose the Summer 2014 Meeting for the event. All poster abstracts must be added by June 28 to be included in the printed program. After you've created your poster, please upload the digital image of your poster to your ESIP Commons poster page. These images will scroll at the registration desk throughout the duration of the meeting. Questions – email Erin (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Below are some sites that can help you create posters that are dynamic and hold the interest of your audience.
- End of April, Agenda shared
- End of April, Registration opens
- May 31, Last day for registration refund
- June 11, Early bird registration ends and room block rates close
- July 8-11, ESIP Meeting!
Follow us online!
Twitter Hashtag: #ESIPFed
*** Call for Sessions is closed ***