Operations DirectorEarth Science Information Partners - Remote
Earth Science Information Partners Operations Director
Remote – Full time Position
Desired Start Date – October 15, 2020
Effective use of Earth science data and information systems is essential to solve the world’s greatest environmental and societal challenges. Achieving this requires on-going communication, collaboration and coordination of a diverse community of stakeholders including academic, non profit and governmental researchers, private sector technology leaders and decision makers. Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP, esipfed.org) is a broad-based, community of science, data and information technology practitioners who come together at the grass-roots level, to reduce the time and barriers to tackle some of the world’s greatest problems. Together we implement system changes and adopt technologies that allow for cross-community interoperability and increased data usage to foster collaboration and drive global societal benefit.
ESIP is seeking a detail-oriented team player to join our organization in the position of ESIP Operations Director. The ESIP Operations Director is a full-time exempt member of the team who will lead the operational aspects of the organization including: bookkeeping, contracting, human resources and meeting planning roles. The Operations Director is expected to be passionate about:
- empowering a community of professionals to enable epic collaboration,
- effective and efficient organizational management,
- and, the power of Earth science data to solve our planet’s greatest challenges.
All ESIP staff are committed to empowering, enabling and serving the larger ESIP volunteer community. The ESIP team is comprised of bright, creative and independent leaders and is operated using Holacracy, a framework that allows delegation of roles and empowers team members with appropriate decision making authority. To succeed at ESIP team members need to be self-motivated and able to operate independently and effectively in a work environment based largely on the use of communications technology rather than daily face-to-face interactions. ESIP is a fully remote organization. This position can be based most anywhere in the continental United States with access to robust Internet connection and a major transportation hub.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the ESIP Executive Director and working as a member of the ESIP team, the Operations Director will:
- Perform Bookkeeping functions
- Coordinate with outside accountant for annual audit
- Run payroll including benefits and retirement plan contributions
- Oversee benefits and insurance evaluation and recommendation
- Lead documentation of organizational policies and procedures and ensures compliance
- Recruit new team members and provide HR support to the organization as needed
- Schedule board and committee meetings and video conferences
- Oversee procurement and contracting
- Plan, prepare and support conferences, workshops, and meetings both in-person and virtual including meeting logistics, registration and pre-meeting preparation
- Manage organization equipment inventory and storage needs
All ESIP staff must be committed to the organization’s mission and have a strong commitment to help lead an efficient and effective organization. Additionally, the successful candidate should demonstrate the following:
Required Skills, Experience and Qualities:
- A minimum of 5 years experience in nonprofit bookkeeping or accounting
- Strong written and verbal and communication skills
- Proficiency in QuickBooks
- Experience working with and managing boards and volunteers
- Meeting and conference planning experience
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced remote work environment
- Flexibility and ability to work autonomously as well as take direction when needed
- Ability to identify areas for improvement, make suggestions for change and oversee the implementation of new systems
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
Desired Skills, Experience and Qualities:
- Human resources training and experience
- Familiarity with bill.com
- Experience with planning and leading virtual events
- Experience with procurement, contracting and specifically hotel contract negotiation
About the Job
Must be able to travel to support 4-5 meetings a year. Presently all meetings are being held virtually due to COVID-19. In addition to those meetings, the Operations Director may have some additional travel for training and other events that may be needed to acquire and maintain proficiency in fulfilling the responsibilities of the position.
This position is remotely based. Access to a major transportation hub and robust Internet connectivity is essential.
The compensation for this position is expected to range from $70,000 – $85,000 depending on experience.
Applications should be sent electronically to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed immediately and applications received before 9/15/2020 will receive first consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Applications should include:
- Letter of interest that describes why you want to work in the ESIP community
- Three reference contacts, references will only be contacted at later stage in the hiring process
ESIP was formed by NASA in 1998 in response to a National Research Council recommendation calling for the involvement of community stakeholders in the development of NASA’s Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) as a critical element of the U.S. Global Change Research Program. The essence of this charge is the heart of the ESIP ’s mission: “To support the networking and data dissemination needs of our members and the global community by linking the functional sectors of observation, research, application, education and ultimate use of Earth science.” Since 1998, ESIP has grown to include over 150 member organizations.
ESIP is a non-profit 501(c)(3) scientific and education membership organization. Currently, ESIP receives funding from NASA, NOAA and USGS to provide a platform to support the community with neutral space for virtual and face-to-face workshops, technical meetings, and conferences to support community-driven collaborations around shared Earth science data and information issues.
ESIP recognizes that a diverse organization is a strong organization and is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.