Communications ManagerEarth Science Information Partners - Remote
Earth Science Information Partners Communications Manager
Remote – Full time Position
Desired Start Date – September 21, 2021
Effective use of Earth science data and information systems are essential to solve the world’s greatest environmental and societal challenges. Achieving this requires on-going communication, collaboration and coordination of a diverse community of stakeholders including academic, non profit and governmental researchers, private sector technology leaders and decision makers. Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP, esipfed.org) is a diverse community of science, data, and information technology practitioners who come together to reduce the barriers to tackle some of the world’s greatest problems through the use of data. Together we implement system changes and adopt technologies that enable interoperability and increased data usage to foster collaboration and empower positive global impact.
We know that effective communication is key to collaboration. ESIP’s Communication’s Manager will be responsible for managing all communications functions for ESIP including helping to streamline existing communications efforts and processes and implementing new ideas and initiatives. This position reports to the Executive Director, the organization’s primary spokesperson. ESIP is looking to place greater emphasis on communication through all channels – our website, social media, press, and especially improving internal communication to and among our community of thousands of Earth Science data professionals. We seek an individual who is excited about science communication – and especially about the role of data management in science and the broader world.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
All ESIP staff must be committed to the organization’s mission and have a strong commitment to support an efficient and effective organization. Additionally, the successful candidate should demonstrate ability to perform the following:
- Updating and maintaining the ESIP Website
- Drafting and distributing a Weekly email newsletter
- Attending collaboration area telecon calls to understand and support the communications needs and opportunities of ESIPs nearly 30 collaboration areas
- Managing the community database including running reports and managing preferences and integrations with email services, listservs, and messaging platforms
- Managing and creating content for multiple Social Media accounts and platforms
- Managing content for YouTube and Figshare
- Assisting with the creation of an Annual report, proposals, presentations and other communications materials
- Curating and cultivating compelling success and impact stories
- Staying current on communications trends and advancements
- Managing ESIP’s communications platforms
Required Skills, Experience and Qualities:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- The ability to produce accurate communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex ideas in a way that helps people understand and relate to them
- Comfortable exploring new technologies and approaches
- An understanding of best practices in external and internal communications
- Strong interpersonal skills and sense of teamwork and collaboration
- Self-starter who can work independently or support others when necessary
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and follow-through.
- Ability to work effectively remotely with a small, distributed team
- A problem solver with strong critical thinking skills
- Proficient in Google and Microsoft Office Suite and related programs.
3-5 years of experience with the following:
- Updating websites and working with web content management systems
- Writing and sending newsletters or other forms of electronic communications, and managing multiple segmented mailing lists (MailChimp experience preferred)
- Creating digital content and managing social media channels on behalf of an organization
Desired Skills, Experience and Qualities:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in a related field (a scientific discipline or communications is preferred)
- Experience in science communications
- Strong editing and design skills. Ability to copy-edit materials as well as develop, write, edit, and design short documents and presentations. Familiarity with Adobe software suite a plus.
- Experience with CRM platforms (Salesforce or others)
- Experience with web, social and email analytics tools
- Experience working in a nonprofit or scientific organization is preferred
About the Job
The Communications Manager must be able to travel to support 2-4 meetings a year. In addition to those meetings, the Communications Manager may have some additional travel for training and other events.
This position is remotely based. Access to a major transportation hub and robust Internet connectivity is essential.
The compensation for this position is expected to range from $65,000 – $75,000 depending on experience.
Applications should be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed immediately and applications received before 8/25/2021 will receive first consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Applications should include:
- Letter of interest that describes why you want to work in the ESIP community
- Three writing samples demonstrating a variety of communication styles (science communication preferred)
- Three reference contacts, references will only be contacted at later stage in the hiring process
ESIP recognizes that a diverse organization is a strong organization and is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. ESIP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, or service in the military. Equal employment opportunity applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation, and training.
ESIP was formed by NASA in 1998 in response to a National Research Council recommendation calling for the involvement of community stakeholders in the development of NASA’s Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) as a critical element of the U.S. Global Change Research Program. The essence of this charge is the heart of the ESIP ’s mission: “To support the networking and data dissemination needs of our members and the global community by linking the functional sectors of observation, research, application, education and ultimate use of Earth science.” Since 1998, ESIP has grown to include over 150 member organizations.
ESIP is a non-profit 501(c)(3) scientific and education membership organization. Currently, ESIP receives funding from NASA, NOAA and USGS to provide a platform to support the community with neutral space for virtual and face-to-face workshops, technical meetings, and conferences to support community-driven collaborations around shared Earth science data and information issues.